Posted by: Sara
Time: 3:27 PM
What’s more fun than playdough? We can’t think of much. Follow this simple step-by-step guide on how-to make playdough and you’ll be having a blast in no time!
a. 2 cups flour
b. 2 cups warm water
c. 1 cup salt
d. 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
e. 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
f. food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
g. scented oils
1) Mix all of the ingredients together.
2) Put the mixture in a pan on the stove and continue to mix over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken and will soon resemble mashed potatoes. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.
3) Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat and knead it vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide into dough balls for coloring.
4) Make a divot in the center of the ball and drop some food coloring into the divot. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the playdough. Add more dye to achieve your perfect color. Be sure to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter by using gloves or plastic wrap to keep your hands and counter clean. Only the concentrated dye will color your skin, so as soon as it’s worked in the dough, bare hands are safe.
5) Once it’s dyed, you can create unique objects and designs. Cut shapes using cookie cutters or layer your playdough colors for a 3-dimensional look. You can even bake your playdough shapes in the oven to make hard dough figures and ornaments.
When you’re done, store your playdough in an air-tight container. If it begins to dry out, you can knead in some water until the dough begins to soften again. If it becomes too soggy, you can re-heat it to drive off the extra water the dough absorbed.
During the process, snap a few pics of your little citizen creating their playdough and enter them in our “Around the World Activity Contest” for your chance to win one of our 10 weekly prizes and be entered into a sweepstakes to win a $500 Tea gift certificate. Contest ends 7/31/2012. Visit www.facebook.com/teacollection to enter.
This activity was inspired by the Floral Vine Dress which first debuted in our Turkey-inspired collection in Spring 2007.