What’s more fun than playdough? We can’t think of much. Follow this simple step-by-step guide on how-to make playdough and you’ll be having a blast in no time!
a. 2 cups flour
b. 2 cups warm water
c. 1 cup salt
d. 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
e. 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
f. food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
g. scented oils
1) Mix all of the ingredients together.
2) Put the mixture in a pan on the stove and continue to mix over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken and will soon resemble mashed potatoes. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.
3) Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat and knead it vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide into dough balls for coloring.
4) Make a divot in the center of the ball and drop some food coloring into the divot. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the playdough. Add more dye to achieve your perfect color. Be sure to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter by using gloves or plastic wrap to keep your hands and counter clean. Only the concentrated dye will color your skin, so as soon as it’s worked in the dough, bare hands are safe.
5) Once it’s dyed, you can create unique objects and designs. Cut shapes using cookie cutters or layer your playdough colors for a 3-dimensional look. You can even bake your playdough shapes in the oven to make hard dough figures and ornaments.
When you’re done, store your playdough in an air-tight container. If it begins to dry out, you can knead in some water until the dough begins to soften again. If it becomes too soggy, you can re-heat it to drive off the extra water the dough absorbed.
During the process, snap a few pics of your little citizen creating their playdough and enter them in our “Around the World Activity Contest” for your chance to win one of our 10 weekly prizes and be entered into a sweepstakes to win a $500 Tea gift certificate. Contest ends 7/31/2012. Visit www.facebook.com/teacollection to enter.
This activity was inspired by the Floral Vine Dress which first debuted in our Turkey-inspired collection in Spring 2007.
Sail the high seas with this fun egg carton sailboat activity inspired by Destination:Brazil. With few supplies and easy assembly, this activity will have your little one out sailing in no time.
- Lid of an egg carton
- Construction paper
- Hole punch or sharp pencil
- Straw or stick
- Paints & paintbrush or markers
- Cut a triangle from the construction paper.
- Punch 2 or 3 holes along one side of the paper.
- Weave a straw or stick through the holes in the paper triangle.
- Paint the inside of the egg carton lid.
- Tape your sail to one end of the boat.
Once you’re done, snap a few pics of your little citizen sailing their boat and enter them in our “Around the World Activity Contest” for your chance to win one of our 10 weekly prizes and be entered into a sweepstakes to win a $500 Tea gift certificate. Contest starts 7/1/2012. Visit www.facebook.com/teacollection to enter.
This activity was inspired by our Kasato Stripe Dress which first debuted in Destination: Brazil in Spring 2009.
It has a Japanese aesthetic with nautical notes named after the boat that brought the first Japanese immigrants to Brazil in 1908.
We’re celebrating our 10 year anniversary and we’re calling on all little citizens to enter our “Around the World Activity Contest” for your chance to win a $500 Tea shopping spree and one of ten weekly prizes from our anniversary collection. Enter by sharing a photo of your little citizens completing craft activities inspired by our 10 anniversary destinations.
To be eligible to win, be sure to:
• Take a photo of your little citizen completing a do-it-yourself activity based on one of our anniversary destinations (Brazil, Turkey, Japan, Korea, or West Africa) and upload it to the official “Around the World Activity Contest” tab on Tea’s Facebook.
• After you upload the photo, add a photo caption including the name of the activity and which destination inspired the craft.
• Share your photo with your friends and ask them to vote. The more votes you have, the greater the chance you’ll have to win!
Below is a list of our favorite diy activities based on our anniversary destinations. Click on the title to be taken to a blog post with step-by-step directions for each activity.
Make Brazilian Music
Find Your Local Tea Retailer
Make an Egg Carton Sailboat
Make Your Own Playdough
Make Your Own Paper
Make an Authentic Japanese Fan
Make a Spirit Stick
Color Dragon Mask from our Activity Book
For more inspiration, visit our “around the world diy” Pinterest board.
Happy Crafting & Good Luck!
Thank you everyone who entered our June Activity Book Coloring Contest! We’re always overwhelmed with all the talent we see from our Tea fans.
Without further ado, we’re proud to announce Michael as this month’s winner.
Thank you everyone for entering and be sure to submit a new picture for July’s contest!
Browse all the entries on our Flickr page.
Interested in entering the contest for next month? Take a picture of your child’s completed activity book picture and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Activity Book Entry” in the subject line. We pick one winner each month to receive a $100 Tea gift certificate. We’ll also post all honorable mentions on our blog page and all submissions will be posted on our Flickr page.
Download all of our activity book pages by visiting our activity printouts blog tag.
Tea was born in 2002 with 3 pima cotton baby sweaters inspired by the simple, elegant and graceful designs of traditional Chinese clothing. These sweaters were first sold by Bell & Trunk, a local boutique in San Francisco. By the end of year one, Tea could be found in 50 local retailers. Now, 10 years later, we’re in over 300 and online.
To help us celebrate our 10 year anniversary, we encourage you to find your closest local Tea Retailer. Once you’re there, snap a picture in front of the store sign and submit it to our “Around the World Activity Contest” on Facebook for your chance to win a $500 Tea shopping spree or one of ten weekly prizes!
To find your local Tea retailer, visit our store locator.