- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp instant or dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together and knead all of the dough ingredients. This can be done by hand, mixer or in a bread machine (on dough setting).
- If mixed by hand or mixer, once smooth and soft, place dough in lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 60 minutes or doubled.
- Gently transfer dough to a floured surface. Roll dough into a large rectangle until dough is roughly just under a centimeter.
- Spread melted butter onto the surface of dough (reserving 1 tbsp). Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon evenly on top.
- From the shorter end, roll the dough into a log and cut into 15-16 slices.
- Place buns in a well-greased cast iron. Drizzle reserved 1 tbsp butter over buns. Cover skillet and let buns rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Uncover buns and bake for about 15 minutes, just until they're golden brown.
- While buns are in the oven, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from the oven and spread icing evenly on top while they're warm.
- Best served warm with a tall glass of milk. Wrap in plastic wrap to store at room temperature for a few days... If you're able to stay away for that long!
Share this Recipe