Time to string the lights, turn up the holiday tunes, and bring on the cheer! Whether you’re looking for a unique tabletop accent to rest your hot cocoa or eggnog on, or are on the hunt for a thoughtful and thrifty gift, these DIY tile coasters will do the trick. A fun project for you and your little citizens, they’re festive, functional and feature unique Scots-inspired Tea prints. Follow along for the fun!
What You’ll Need
- 4 square ceramic tiles from your local craft or hardware store (4.25″ x 4.25″)
- 4 pieces of decorative paper, cut into squares (4.25″ x 4.25″)
We’ve put together these easy-to-use templates featuring four one-of-a-kind Tea prints from our Scotland collection! Just click on the images below to download and print.
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush
- 4 pieces of felt (3.75″ x 3.75″)
- Fabric glue
- Clear acrylic sealer
1. Using your sponge brush, brush a thin coat of Mod Podge onto your first tile.
2. Take one piece of your decorative paper and carefully align the top corners to the top corners of the tile. Moving from top to bottom, gradually press the paper into the tile to seal the edges.
Tip: Don’t rush this step or you’ll risk wrinkling the paper.
3. Let set until dry.
4. Using your brush, apply another coat of Mod Podge to the top of the paper. Set to dry for 15 minutes and then repeat 2 to 3 more times.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the remaining three tiles.
6. Now it’s time to make your tiles spill-proof! Take them outside and spray each one with clear acrylic sealer. This will make them water-resistant.
7. The final step! Once your tile coasters are dry, glue felt squares to the bottom to give them a soft, scratch-free surface to sit on.