If asked what their favorite meal is, how many of your little citizens would say pizza? We know the majority of ours would (us included!). In a world of delicious, deliverable food right at your fingertips, it can be hard not to fall into the trap of ordering delivery instead of cooking. With a little extra energy and a few helping hands, you can take the next Friday family pizza night to a whole new level with our easy homemade pizza and a salad recipes!Inspired by a meal we had in Venice, we’re sharing a recipe for a DIY pizza party and a healthy (but still delicious) salad to enjoy as a side. Depending on how adventurous you’re feeling, choose one of the following first steps…
- Make your own homemade dough with our recipe here
- Buy pre-made dough, let it sit for 30 minutes before you get started
- Buy a pre-made pizza crust (think Boboli)
With either of your crust options, have your little citizens help you decide on toppings! We’re partial to pepperoni and cheese, but you can put anything on a pizza; pineapple, anchovies, peppers, onions, meatballs – you name it. If you are using your pre-made pizza crust, simply layer on the sauce, cheese and toppings, bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If you are using your own homemade dough or pre-made dough, follow the instructions below.
Start by dusting your work surface and dough with flour. Using your hands, stretch and shape the dough into a circle, being careful not to create a hole. Transfer the dough to a pizza stone or pan . Drizzle oil around rim of dough. Spoon about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border for the crust. Season with salt. Arrange cheese evenly over the pizza. Drizzle pizza with more oil, if you’d like and add all the toppings you want. Bake until golden brown (about 12 minutes). Remove from the oven. Top with basil. Slice and serve!
And don’t forget the salad! This version of an Italian Chopped Salad is directly inspired by the one we had in Venice. It is packed with yummy toppings like fresh mozzarella, olives and corn and full of flavor. Make sure to share your pizza party pictures with us by using the hashtag #littlecitizens or #kidslovetea.
|8 servings||10 minutes|
We had this delicious salad on our trip to Italy. Stuffed to the brim with great toppings like egg, olives and fresh tomatoes, it's guaranteed to please a crowd.
- 3 cups shredded lettuce (mixed greens or romaine)
- 1 cup shredded radicchio cabbage
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup olives
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Chop your tomatoes into quarters. Chop or shred your mozzarella into bite sized pieces. Shred your lettuce and radicchio. Combine your lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, corn and olives in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over the salad and mix to coat. Top with hard boiled egg, that has been halved and serve!